Monday, September 11, 2006

Seattle, part Duex w/motivations....

9/11 – ok, so I’m flying cross country today. I should be home by midnight, just in time to do my 2fer.

Now I know it’s motivational Monday. I have 2 quotes – 1 that fits me right now and another that fits me right now…hahahahaha – there’s a third one that deals with seattle and a lot to tell there.

First things first…I found these quotes:

Use your imagination not to scare yourself to death but to inspire yourself to life.
-Adele Brookman

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
-Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

I think these quotes are pretty motivational. It’s neat to be encouraged by other people who look at things in a different way. The first quote is a neat glass half empty/half full thing for me – which I’m trying to look at things that way even more so than usual. The 2nd just makes me feel better about some of my doubts/confusion, etc. that I’ve been having and knowing that I’ll be better for it in the long run.

Now the 3rd quote for you today is this:

When you meet your antagonist, do everything in a mild and agreeable manner. Let your courage be as keen, but at the same time as polished, as your sword.
-Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1751 - 1816)


Now the trip/show up here was awesome! Other than our display stuff being lost for a day – it couldn’t have gone any better. Last night was great. Of course all week(end) I’ve hung out with my Canadian buds (and I think it’s decided that I am going to Ottowa soon, too) and last night they had a big party in the Presidential Suite of the hotel. So, of course they want me to come, etc. Well, the party was co-hosted by one of my competitors in the software arena. A bigger one – we’re like the "Dr. Pepper" drink – a Cadbury brand that’s 3rd only to "Coke" & "Pepsi". This competitor is like Coke. Easily the biggest. I know the president of the company pretty well and told him I was coming and to be ready for me. I said, “I’m not going to wear my (company) shirt b/c you’re paying for all this stuff, and I’m not going to do too much business – I coming to hang with my peeps and get free food and drink.” Of course he was way cool with that and was like “yeah, totally – you know you’re more than welcome at my stuff. I really like you and know your cool and you’re a great competitor. Not like those a$$holes at “pepsi”. I hate those guys.” So – I show up at the party around 9. And it was a great time – but this is the funniest part – (I don’t want to use real names so I’ll call the president of coke – armwood – he’s from tampa…hahahah) Armwood was telling the people there about our software – yes, mine. He was selling it for me. It was hilarious – I got just as many hot leads from that party in 7 hours as I did in 2 days at the show. Of course Armwood didn’t really realize what he was doing…he had been drinking a lot. But nonetheless, I took full advantage of the situation. It was awesome – the Canadians couldn’t believe it…one of the girls was like “so, he [armwood] is paying for the other half of this party that we’re not, which is like $10K or so, and he’s selling your stuff. That’s odd, isn’t it?” “Uh, yeah – but I’m not complaining – let’s just not remind him of it in the morning.” And everyone laughed…it was funny. What’s even funnier is that he is coming to the TN/FLA game this weekend and wants to take us (by us – I actually mean me & Lisa, maybe Allan) out to dinner – wherever we want to go. And of Course I never pass up free food. Another thing – it seems everyone here loves my accent. "Que?" or "What?", you ask? I have an accent? Well, apparently I do, and the people up here love it. They knew it was southern, but not deep southern (think SC, GA, etc), no big drawl, and they just ate it up – it was pretty funny. They were all about being annoyed with the deep accent they’re used to from the south and not always understanding what’s said – but mine and the guy that was with me – they thought was sooo cool. And yes, they all do get out a lot, but apparently they’ve never been around my part of the south and they were all wanting to come here by the end of the show and party. (so lisa, be prepared – I told them all it was ok to come - that we only needed a couple days notice...)

So, Sunday, I went to a Mariners game – got tickets in the 16th row, behind 3rd – almost got hit in the head with a ball (the 16th row is pretty close – lots of foul balls), got sunburnt (yes in seattle) on only half of my neck (yes I look funny – hold comments), got jumped on for another ball – to which I told everyone around me – “People, you can go buy these balls for less than $10 in a store – it’s not that big of a deal to maim people to try to get a ball…really.” Of course the guy that jumped on me apologized (and kept on through the rest of the game – I had to finally “politely” tell him I was tired of hearing it. hahahaha)

OK – that’s about it. Here’s some pics from this trip – for more seattle pics – see my last post when I was there.

OK – a pic of the stadium, some action, a very cool information booth (all mobile) and a horse and buggy - enjoi.












company names used in this post are NOT the said companies - only used for comparison

2 comments:

Kel said...

One of my favorite quotes is from Sun Tsu's Art of War- "If you wait by the river long enough, you'll see the body of your enemy float by."

Your trip to Seattle sounds fun. That is one place in the states I'd love to go. Total granola, liberal place, I think I'd fit right in :) Our best friend here is from Vancouver, he says Seattle is awesome...not too far away. I need to get to Canada. I've yet to meet a Canadian I haven't liked.

lisa said...

Armwood huh? GO HAWKS!! ;)