Friday, September 15, 2006

Pepsi...the mysterious origins...

So, most of you know I'm a Coke man. When I drink softdrinks, it's Coca-Cola, Diet Coke or Cherry Coke. I usually don't stray from those, unless it's Mtn Dew. Well...most of you don't know why I drink Coke products. I'll fill you in.

Pepsi Cola was originally named Brad's Drink. Now, back in 1893, it was fairly common for mom and pop alchemists to concoct certain beverages and brews in their basement and "invent" the next big thing. Well, Caleb Bradham (who was from New Bern, NC, btw) invented something that was actually drinkable. He started selling it in his fountain shop, and he dubbed it "Brad's Drink". Since his last name contained "Brad" in it. So, first I think to myself, why didn't he call it "Caleb's Drink"? What was so mysterious that he wouldn't put his first name, or full last name on the drink (think "Dr. Pepper")? Hmmmmm....

Well, Mr. Bradham, had such a good drink on his hands he decided to market it medicinally. He traveled extensively marketing his new concoction as a digestive aid (ummmm...pepto-bismally), then marketed it as an energy booster (similar to a RockStar or Red Bull). Well...I know what you're thinking, an energy booster, ok I can see that, but a digestive aid? OK, so the name changed in 1898 to Pepsi-Cola. Why? Seems the part of the name Pepsi, comes from the pepsin that is in the drink. Think, Pepcid AC. Yep, the heartburn medicine. And as for the cola...that comes form the kola nut content that flavors up the pepsin.

So, in short, I do not like to have a refreshing drink that is sometimes prescribed for heartburn. HAHAHAHAHA

Now compare that with Coca-Cola, (which was made first - and the inventor of it actually wrote the logo by hand that is still used today) which first contained the same kola nut stuff for flavor and cocaine. Of course, they stopped that in the 80's. hahahahahaha - but you can see why it's been the more popular one over the years.

~l8r

8 comments:

Johnny T said...

Beth is going to love this post- she is a dedicated Coca-Cola supporter. I myself grew up on Pepsi, and have always favored it over Coke (which tastes like flat Pepsi).
These days though, I hardly ever drink soda's of any kind. When I do, it's either a rootbeer, or Dr. Enuf. (Johnson City Product)
P.S. Mt. Dew was invented right here in Johnson City at the Tri City Beverage Co, but knowing you, you probably alreasy knew that.

f1rststory said...

yes...by the same company that invented Dr. Enuff. ;) Only the original Mtn Dew was like an uncarbonated Sprite that you mixed with Whiskey...

lisa said...

I myself am a committed coke fan. Pepsi is the flat one! ;)

Tonya said...

amen, lisa! pepsi is nasty!

Kel said...

okay, well I just want to know how I can get my hands on a Coca Cola that predates the 1980's??
Oh, did I say that outloud? I mean, yeah, bein a gorgia gal, I drink "coke" too.

lisa said...

well, counting Beth... John you are out numbered 5 to 1. I think you need to see the light and convert! ;)

oh...and you need to come check out our new Sector 9!

Tonya said...

hey kel,
my bro has a couple special edition washington redskins cans from the 80's sitting in your house on that hill...it's still your property...i'm sure you could figure some way...

Kel said...

yes, yes it is.