Monday, September 18, 2006

Motivation from Starbucks...

So, I go to Starbucks this morning (as usual, unless I'm at Panera), through the drivethrough and order my standard Marble Mocha Macchiato (get one if you haven't - awesome) and drink it down during this morning's meeting. I decided to read "The Way I See It" quote on the cup. This is something I rarely do, but today was different. Here's is the quote (It's #178, btw):

"The measure of genuine civilization, it has been said, is the quality of life for a nation's poorest and least privileged people. By that measure, we are barbarians. Our current level of inequality cannot be justified or sustained." - Robert W. McChesney

After reading this I thought to myself, hmmm - interesting and very true. I mean how can we call oursleves civil and not treat those less fortunate with dignity and respect. I know I sometimes don't. I often look down on people who don't "fit my mold or idea" of who or what a "normal" person is. I mean, we sponsor children/families in other countries and try to help them succeed, we're involved with one.org, among other things. But what do I do for people here to help our nation grow? Well, I pay taxes, so the gov't can deal with them so I don't have to get "dirty". Just like I send money to other places to empower other people to get "dirty". What do I do to get "dirty" other than give money? I volunteer a lot for various things...sometimes I wonder how much of that I do for myself instead of for helping others. Probably most of it, if I were honest.

What do you do to get "dirty"?

Just a thought.

4 comments:

Kel said...

Oh I get dirty. I was covered in soil today after helping my kids build a model of the nile river. On saturday, we are making mummies out of chickens, no joke. Real mummies. I consider that pretty dirty. Seriously though, it's a lot easier to "help" the world from here. We are constanly giving toys, clothes, food etc to the workers here who's families are still back in their own country. In Abu Dhabi, we used to have beggers at our door constantly. I started stacking bags of rice and canned food that we would hand out whenever someone came. Anyway, just a few things, but like I said. It's easier here to feel like you're making a difference where you live.

Sweet Beth said...

so is starbucks trying to make you think about the $3+ coffee that you are buying when you could be helping out the little guy? that 's the first thing that i thought when John explained the quote to me.

lisa said...

hahahahahaha - that's funny ;)

Kel said...

HAHAHAHAHA, funny beth! I should have thought of that!DOH!