Wednesday, October 25, 2006

the smoke is not a problem...repeat, not a problem

oh the joys of hearing that come over the loudspeaker while sitting in the plane as it starts up.

let me back up...

first in LV yesterday, I met up with Jeremy, a buddy of mine from here (actually a really good friend). he happened to be out there for another conference and we had dinner and hung out and lost some money on the slot machines...hahahahaha too fun! I get to the airport afterwards and my flight was out ay 1045p. so we board and I sleep. Prett boring. i get to the ATL this morning at 5a and have to wait until 9a for my flight home. Which I do...I wait patiently. not too many people to watch either. I think that was the first time I have been there and I was pretty much the only person there except for some maint people. Oh well, time to board for the flight. I get on, sit down with everyone else and tey start the engines to go. The left engine busts out in a big cloud of gray/black smoke. The engines keep running. The smoke keeps appearing. The captain comes over the loud speaker and says, "You may be noticing the smoke coming out of the left engine. Well, this is perfectly normal. It's kind of like having a bad plug in your car, and you let it rn for a sec and it's ok." What? First, i thought a bad plug would prevent you from really starting your car and second I fly all the time - literally and I have NEVER seen this. Needless to say, I just put my iPod in my ears and closed my eyes and went to sleep. I figured if we're going to crash once we take off, I might as well go ahead and go to sleep. hahahaha well, you guessed it, we didn't crash. ;) anyway, very interesting. So, now I can add to my list of flight occurances (which include getting struck by lightning while in the air) the smoking engine phenomenon.

My motto will continue to be - any landing you can walk away from is a good one. hahahaha

Oh yeah, i should be able to put up pics tomorrow. yeah!

No comments: