Monday, April 10, 2006

Citizen's Rights...

There has been a lot of hoopla in the news recently about illegal immigrants and what should be done about them. Obviously they shouldn't be here illegally. Our country was founded on immigrants, so I do understand the logic of immigrants being here and living and working to make a better US. However, i do feel they should follow the same laws that everyone else does. They should pay taxes, they should become US citizens, they should speak English, etc. I don't see why these things are so hard for some people to understand. Immigrants who came here 50-200+ years ago did that, why have things changed?

Now people are protesting and marching...blahblahblah. If they are not US citizens, where do they get the right to protest - or even be acknowledged for that matter? Why does the media make such a big deal of it? If my family decides to up and move to another country (use Germany for example) to make a better life, we will be expected to learn/speak German, file for residency, pay taxes, etc. Why is the US different? What is it about the US that makes every person in the world (yes, every person) want to live here? And yet at the same time, people (mainly the mainstream media) are always saying that the US is hated everywhere in the globe. I think I know why and I'll share it with you...

in my book when it comes out. ;)

8 comments:

Jen said...

Eh, let 'em protest. It's easier to round them up for arrest and deportation when they're all in one place.

I totally agree. I have nothing against immigrants THAT ARE HERE LEGALLY. It's the ones who come here illegally and shout about how much they have the right to our country's services just like a legal citizen that make me angry.

lisa said...

Now Tim, did you word your post in a way to bring about hostile debate?
You are such an instiGAtOR!

Kel said...

You're right about people hating America (that's not just media), I've mentioned it a few times. It's is totally ironic how much the rest of the world hates us and makes it really uncomfortable for Americans who live abroad or travel, yet they all want to at least visit. Go figure. Our friend Len had a good point, why should these immigrants get a reward for doing something illegal. This whole amnesty issue. I understand the government wants to know who they all are, the whole sick and carrot routine, but it's just not right. They are taking jobs from people who are there legally and those of us who DO pay taxes are contributing to these millions of immigrants' well being. All I have to say is: if they want to know where they all are, check Wal-Mart ;)

Tonya said...

did you SEE what Kelly said about you on Lisa's blog??? I think you should retaliate!

lisa said...

Ok, I take back my last comment. Tonya is the instigator! ;)

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, Tim.

newsoneal said...

I agree with you Tim. But I say, let them protest and bring the issue to light. Maybe people will contact their congressmen and let know that we want tighter borders and tougher penalties for employers that higher illegal immigrants. If we don't provide the jobs, and make it such an attractive place, maybe they will stop coming here.

Kel said...

Bring it on. I'm a bored housewife whith nothing better to do all day than blog and "provoke thought" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
As Ross says constantly, and I say this refering to Lisa's post "the truth only hurts when it ought to" HAHAHA!