Friday, January 12, 2007

parking strategy

So, in our new building we are in 'downtown'. All the parking downtown town is free 2 hour only on the streets (right in front of our building and elsewhere), or you can park in the parking garage, a block or two away, or you can opt for the $30 a month parking space behind our building. Now most people would think it's a no-brainer to do the $30 a month for a space, right? Well, not me. I have decided (and have talked everyone in our office into this same philosophy) to beat the system. I mean really, do you think their are police that go up and down the street where we live looking to write a 2 hour violation parking ticket? No, me neither. Here's the deal...

I find out parking tickets are $10 a fine. So, I say to myself, "I'd have to get a minimum of 3 tickets a month parking on the side of the road in front of my office to pay for a space behind my office. I would have to get 4 tickets/fines a month for a couple of months in a row, to justify buying a space. No I'm not walking 2 blocks unless I have to. It is winter." Well, to me this is just brilliant. So I tell everyone else about this grand scheme of convenience vs. non-convenience and everyone agrees. So we have all been doing this the past month and a half with no fines...

Until yesterday. Yesterday I got a ticket. Marcus got a ticket. A couple of other people here got tickets. So, they racked up yesterday in fines...Only thing is...our new girl didn't get a ticket, and she was in front of me and I even left and came back and parked yesterday while her vehicle was there the whole time. So, I'm thinking of filing a discriminatory suite against the parking people. All of us guys got tickets and the girl didn't. Hmmmm....

Needless to say, everyone is whining and moaning about having to pay $10 (which they don't even have to, I mean our business is paying most of them - well, at least mine and Marcus'...heh). I have to remind them that they could be paying $30 instead, blah blah blah.

Where is the humor in all of this? I'll tell you. But you have to keep it a secret... I told our new girl that if she went out and made parking tickets that looked real and put them on people's cars and use a PO BOX, they would mail them in and she could make a lot of money really fast. Well, she took me up on it and I think she has about $450 or so coming to her. Pretty clever I must say...



[the above is a fictional account of what really happened yesterday...yes i got a ticket, but everything else is made up....heh]

4 comments:

Johnny T said...

Ha- I scrolled just far enough to read everything but the small print at first. Clever.

lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lisa said...

Anyone who knows you would know this story is fictional because if it was true you would have been the one making the tickets and scamming people. ;)

Johnny T said...

You could park at the top of a hill and longboard to work. In Chicago, I skated to work most days, and was about 2 miles, if I was Lucky i could skitch on the back of a taxi