Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Insert witty title here...

ok ok - no title, big deal. How's this, though...I was reading foxnews.com today and came across an article about this guy who studies pyramids in Peru and Bolivia etc (an archaeological expert) and he thinks he's found hidden pyramids in Bosnia - and it seems he is right. Big deal you're thinking... well, I 've read almost all the books a guy named James Rollins has written (they are very cool - check them out next time you're at B&N - kinda like Indiana Jones type stuff) and this seemed like something that could come out of one of his books. So I looked him up and emailed him the link, told him what I thought and he even replied and said he thought that was a very cool article (he mixes fact and fiction - you really should read one) and also thought he could use it in one of his books. I know it doesn't seem like much, but it made me feel pretty good that he replied, and even liked the idea. Anyway, it's not that often I interact with a pretty famous author.

And now for something completely different...

We bought Luke a motorcycle to start riding and MXing with. He is really starting to get into it and I think this may be something he totally enjoys doing. I'm picking it up Friday (I sold my Pepsi machine to get it ;) ) but I think it's going to be worth it and what's funny is that Libby has been hearing him talk about it and she even went and looked at them with us and she wants one too - although she is definitely too young and too small for one (without training wheels). We're not making it a Christmas present - we're just getting it now b/c of the great deal I got on it. I could probably sell it next week and make $300 on it if I wanted - so worst case scenario is that he really doesn't like it and we break even. Pretty good deal. Now if only I could settle on one....

8 comments:

lisa said...

And you didn't tell J. Rollins you were working on your first book?
Maybe he could have helped you with the title, or plot or even maybe the subject. :)

Steve said...

Ok, the author thing is neat.

But, I'm nervous about the 6 year old with the motorcycle (or is he 5?).

Lisa--the short list of people I know who have severly broken or missing legs:

Wendy's cousin Davey (lost leg, on a dirtbike)
Richard Porter (lost leg)
Randy Hamilton (severe fractures, watch him walk)
My best friend growing up (compound fractures)

I know, I know, it's a dirtbike and your mom reads this blog!

lisa said...

Thanks SO much! Steve. As Luke would say..He's almost 6 and 1/2. Not that it's any better. It's small and slow and he will not be on any roads.
This was Tim's way of breaking the news to the "Moms"...thanks for the help :) (I'm not sure which mom he is scared to tell more).

Wendy said...

Hey,you can get hurt on a motorcycle! Hey, I had a 125 motor growing up. We had a lot of fun. We got burned a lot, because we road with shorts on. I would not recommend shorts on one!

Wendy said...

Hey,you can get hurt on a motorcycle! Hey, I had a 125 motor growing up. We had a lot of fun. We got burned a lot, because we road with shorts on. I would not recommend shorts on one!

murph411 said...

Training wheels! I love it!

Next kid we have I'm getting him/her a motorcycle before he/she can walk and putting training wheels on it...

I can duct tape the carrier to it and find away to wire the motorcycle up for remote control.

Anonymous said...

A motorcycle? I think I would rather Luke have a Blog.

Love from your other mother.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I knew Mark Twain was the man but that comment you put on my xanga really affirmed it. Thanks buddy! By the way, I shot a 98 on the rifle range today in Mountaineering. :-) Just thought you might like to know that.