Saturday, May 13, 2006

It's all good...

So, yesterday was one of the worst days I've had in a loooonngg time. It sucked! Especially up until lunchtime or a little after. Then by the end of the day all was well in the world. I don't want to go into too much detail, but I am glad it's over. I have been pretty stressed lately with the 2 houses, all my past and future travel, add to that a crazy misunderstanding and an irate customer who essentially called me a liar. Anyway it's done - today was WAY better. The 2 houses are still in process, my future travel is nowhere near as exhausting as it was going to be (I was to go to Panama City in a couple of weeks and to Boston, Tampa and Siberia...in July - I'll stop there, I'm trying to not even think about DC and Chicago in August etc. etc.) I've decided to axe Panama City and Siberia. Not popular choices with others, but they'll have to deal. The crazy misunderstanding is now understood and it wasn't a big deal and the irate customer...I'll deal with them Monday - I believe it was a misunderstanding too...I'll know after a face-to-face.

Anyway, after work Lisa asked me to go to Kohl's and pay off her Kohl's card (a whopping $62.98) so I went. I waited in line and got to the cashier and gave her the account number, which she typed in and asked how much I wanted to pay. "I want to pay it off", I said, thinking that she could look up the amount. "Sir, I'm sorry, but I can't look up your account balance. I can only accept payments."
"Fine. Let me call my wife and find out what the balance is." I called Lisa and she said it was $62.98, which I repeated to the cashier. "$62.98 is the total. That's what I want to pay."
"OK, sir. $62.98. Alright. How would you like to pay?"
"I'll use my check card."
"Oh, I'm sorry sir. We don't accept credit cards for account payment."
"OK - I'm not using a credit card. This is a check card; a debit card."
"We don't accept those either. Only cash or check."
Well, now I was getting frustrated. There had to be around this stupidity. As soon as I started thinking how to thwart the Kohl's piss-poor point of sale system, I saw 'Gift Card' on the screen. It was too brilliant...too easy, yet so dumb. I had found the hole in their 'oh-so-credit-protected' system.
"Umm, ma'am?" I said, asking very sweetly as to not attract too much attention. "I think I would like to buy a gift card for $62.98."
Immediately, she looked up at me. One eyebrow was raised, her opposite eye slightly squinting.
"You want to buy a gift card?" She replied.
"Yeah. I want a gift card. The green one." My excitement was rising. Foolish cashier, I thought to myself. How dare you attempt to match wits with me. You have no idea who I am or the brilliance I inspire.
"That will be $62.98, please."
I handed over my debit card...easily...steadily...as to not arouse any suspicicion. She swiped it, printed the receipt and handed me the gift card.
"Fool!" I exclaimed. "HA! I have twarted your meager point of sale system. Was there ever a thought that I would leave the store without paying? May it never be!" I quickly glanced at the name tag worn by the cashier. "Now, Ms. Sharon...I would like to pay off my Kohl's account balance of $62.98 with this GREEN gift card!"
All of the joy drained from her face as she realized she had lost the battle. She looked down for a second, almost bewildered at the turn of events. The people in line behind me started whispering and snickering. They were beginning to congratulate my intellectual prowess.
Sharon extended her hand, into which I politely, yet firmly placed the green gift card. What else was she to do? She took the card and swiped it and typed $62.98 on the screen and applied payment to my gift card. Then she printed the receipt.
Applause started from somewhere in the back of the store. I realized they were applauding my efforts...my quick thinking.
After handing me the receipt, Sharon quietly said "Have a good day Mr. Story."
To which I replied..."I always do, Sharon. I always do." I then left the store to a round of applause and laughter which made me smile all the way to my Jeep and to home.

SATURDAY
This is a little anticlimactic, but just to let you know that not every day is like yesterday. I got up this morning, went to soccer, came home worked on my footers, rode my bike, went running and worked on my footers some more. We also had supper with our neighbors - I ran my book idea by them and they thought it was fascinating. What's really funny (odd) is that the neighbor wife's dad may have had something to do with what I am writing about...not sure if that's good or bad yet. We'll see.

3 comments:

lisa said...

This story is true...slightly exaggerated....but true, by true I mean the brilliance he inspires ;)

Johnny T said...

that's classic. I'm glad i know you.

Kel said...

Hahaha, that's awesome! I hate snotty little store clerks who really have NO desire to help you. See, if that was me, I'd have told you that you could purchase the gift card and use it to pay your account. Hell, I probably would have found a way to take your debit card. People like that annoy me. I'm glad you bested her! Well done!